Home
 About Orkney
 History
 Tradition
 Folklore
 Placenames
 Images
 Downloads
 About the Site
 Contact 
 Links 
 Search Site 
 Awards
 
  Jo Ben's 1529 "Descriptions of Orkney"

EGILSCHAY

Egilschay, as it were, the island of church (the Kirk Isle). In length it is one mile, in breadth half a mile.

The church here is dedicated to St Magnus. Very many passing by this island lose the sight of life*.

The fowls here lay so many eggs that they [are chipped in the hearth]**.

St Magnus was born in this island, and educated was here from infancy, and gave a house to his nurse, namely, a piece of land, where she built a chapel in which was made a solitary vault, and a cradle, a table, a bed, and other necessaries for a house out of stones, but these were afterwards destroyed.

Where cornfields now are, nevertheless the household things [furnishings] still remain.

* - still unclear about this reference. Perhaps a reference to shipwrecks.
** - one of the author's most obscure references. No idea what was intended.

Section Contents

Back a page