The significance of the landscape
This mound, which gained its unfortunate name
from early antiquarians attempting to describe its shape, is slightly smaller
than the neighbouring Fresh Knowe.
Measuring 22 metres in diameter, and surviving
to three metres in height, Plumcake Mound is found beside the Harray loch, immediately
beside the current car park and across the road, to the
north-east of the Ring o' Brodgar.
Like the other large knowes in the area, Plumcake Mound is thought to date from between 2500 and 1500 BC.
It was investigated
in 1850 by the local antiquarian, George Petrie, who went on to excavate the neighbouring Fresh Knowe in 1853.
Plumcake Mound was found to contain
two stone cists, one containing a pot, the other a steatite (soapstone)
urn. Both these artefacts contained cremated remains.