The significance of the landscape
Lying to the north-east of the Ring o' Brodgar,
and across the modern road that bisects the Ness, is the mound known
as the Fresh Knowe.
The knowe is one of two large mounds by the side
of the Harray Loch - in this case, the one furthest from the car
The mound is elliptical in shape, and measures
38 metres by 26 metres across, and 5.7 metres tall. Even today,
it remains an imposing part of the landscape.
Local antiquarian George Petrie excavated Fresh
Knowe in 1853, but found nothing.
This was despite placing a considerable
trench in the north side of the mound. It was Petrie's opinion,
however, that the mound had been "carefully constructed".
The elliptical shape of the Fresh Knowe may hint
that it contains an early Neolithic
chambered cairn, rather than being a Bronze Age addition to
The mound' s position, by the freshwater Loch o' Harray, probably explains its name.